Friday, 10 April 2009

Spring Greens

I seem to have an obsession with green at present.

I belong to the yarn powerhouse that is Ravelry, and made these fingerless mitts as part of a Spring Knitalong on there. I was going to give them away, but I like them so much, I'll have to keep them!


I made the mitts from the free Owlings pattern available from Destiknit. This design uses cables to create a subtle owls pattern. I used Rowan aran silk yarn. You can't see well in the picture, but the owls have beady eyes. The seed beads were too tiny to go on the yarn, as is proper in beaded knitting. So I sewed them on with a regular needle afterwards.

Another green item I made in the last couple of weeks is this skirt:


That's the first garment I sewed for myself since 1995. (And to add here, I have recently come back to sewing after a very long break. It's been eleven years since my sewing machine was in regular use)

I drafted the skirt pattern following instructions for the Breezy Wrap Skirt in Sew What! Skirts. The fabric is from Amy Butler's Midwest Modern range. I like the shape of the skirt, but if I made it again, I would cut it just a little smaller; I cannot tie the ties as tightly as I would like. I'm always so anxious not to make a garment too small, I tend to err on the side of too much generosity.

1 comment:

  1. Fab skirt! Its great that you can draft your own pattern too, I will look out for the Sew What book. The mits are fun too, love the cable owls.

    ReplyDelete