Monday, 25 May 2009

An untangled web


I bought this lovely yarn off Yarnaddictanni on Etsy. It's Supreme Lace, a mix of merino and mulberry silk. Shortly after I took that photo, the first skein turned into 700m of laceweight yarn to untangle :-(

I do know you have to wind a skein into a ball before working with it, only I haven't done much ball-winding previously, and I don't have any equipment to assist. I had to spend hours de-tangling; I daren't touch the second skein now! I have since been recommended a swift (not really, given the number of times I'd actually use it), or a well-trained dh (probably not. I've got one, but the training may be an issue) or even the backs of two chairs (feasible.)


Anyway, I cast on for the Regatta stole in Yarn Forward issue 11. The white yarn at the edge is just provisional cast-on. This is the first time I ever worked with laceweight yarn and it is very fine; it's like knitting with cobwebs.

I worked this piece out in the garden as it was a lovely weekend. Someone else liked it out there too:


We shared that bowl of cherries between us.


[Yes, yes, I know I still have the aran weight cardigan to finish. But this is hoped to be something to wear in the summer.]

No comments:

Post a Comment