Tuesday, 23 June 2009

Knitting on a deadline? No thanks.

I've made quite a lot of progress with the Regatta shawl, although inevitably, not as much as I would like. I was hoping to wear it to a party early in July - that's looking pretty unlikely now. I've finished the main panel, but there is still a border to knit all the way round.

I'm not good at crafting to deadlines - I have enough deadline-driven stuff at work. Instead, whenever I sense a craft deadline starting to form, I have this contrary, childish urge to put the item down and not do any more work on it.

I have a job, a home and two children, so you might wonder how I fit in crafting at all. To tell the truth, I hardly ever watch TV myself, although I do sit with my children while they watch and I knit - I keep up with Raven: the Secret Temple and Trapped! that way.

I find knitting soothing and so tend to knit in the evenings, whereas sewing mainly happens at weekends. Also, knitting being portable, I take it along with me when I'm travelling or waiting, e.g. at the pool while ds has his swimming lesson.

The how-do-you-find-the-time question is frequently put to all crafters, in one form or another. If you're a non-crafter reading this, and think you don't have time to knit, consider how many hours a week you spend watching TV, playing WoW or similar, or pointlessly frittering time on the Internet... just like I'm doing now [sigh].

1 comment:

  1. I do sew or knit while Miss T is watching tv or doing her homework, but have to be careful as I can often forget that I have started cooking supper too. Nothing worse than that burning smell!

    ReplyDelete