Monday, 31 August 2009

My knitting is not my friend...


... or alternatively, why on earth did I think it would be a good idea to spend £23 on two skeins of laceweight yarn to make Regatta?

I finished the main panel in about a month (yes, yes, I know, but I am not a fast knitter by any means...) After that, I went off knitting a bit and did no work on it for another six weeks. Started again a couple of weeks ago, but I'm struggling with the border. There are four sides of border to knit - two long and two short - and I haven't even finished the first long side yet!

I've been knitting for a long time, and have successfully worked cables, intarsia, in the round, on dpns, sweaters, cardigans, mittens, scarves and hats. But I never tried a laceweight yarn project before and I'm also not entirely confident I will be able to manage the double joins, triple joins, etc, as specified in the instructions.

However, I think the main problem is really the school holidays. Call me a killjoy, but after nearly seven weeks of having kids at home, I'm longing for the start of term, and a return to the regular routines of the school year. Roll on Thursday!

2 comments:

  1. You did a first laceweight project with kids around? Wow! And wow at the speed - my first laceweight is still a wip, despite starting it over a year ago. And knitting it when there is no child around. It's only fairly close to being finished in the last month or so....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep on, its looking great! I loved knitting, but only knit in double knit or above (for the reason you giving). It just seems to take so long, how did mothers in the past ever get anything made with 2 or 3 ply?

    ReplyDelete