Wednesday, 14 October 2009

Ahoy there!

Ds's class topic for this term is pirates. Next week they are off on a day-trip for pirate-themed adventures, for which suitable pirate attire may be worn.

I looked in my copy of Jean Greenhowe's Party Costumes for Kids. This gave me some ideas for putting together a pirate costume. Most of the basics - striped top, bandana handkerchiefs, striped socks, belt with buckle - were already to be found in our house, but I had to do something about the trousers.




Rather than sacrificing a pair of ds's existing trousers, I bought some skull-and-crossbones printed fabric in John Lewis. Using the method from Sew Hip issue 7, which I previously used for my mermaid pyjama pants, I drafted a pattern to produce some simple long shorts, with an elasticated waist. It took less than an hour to stitch and fit these.



ETA: Here is ds wearing his pirate outfit, all ready for the trip.

2 comments:

  1. cool! Being a pirate is always fun! I love the topics they do at school! My son has a more tame topic this term, Healthy Me, so now all food is deemed as healthy or fatty!

    ReplyDelete