Saturday, 10 October 2009

Box delivery


Just to reassure you all, dear readers, when I posted the last entry, I was already on the mend. For about a week between the previous two posts, though, I was too ill even to contemplate using the PC. Gasp!

Since I've been better, we've been clearing up in the garden. The tomato and bean plants have been removed, and 40 Spring bulbs planted.

We're in a lull in terms of home-grown veggies, as the potatoes, beans, tomatoes and salad crops are all gone. Our brussels sprouts and leeks plants are still in the growing stage, so as an interim measure, I've tried an organic delivery from Riverford organics. Inside this box were potatoes, carrots, a romanesco cauliflower, a bag of swiss chard, onions, leeks, corn-on-the-cob and a pointed cabbage.

This box is allegedly for 2-3 people for a week. However, I doubt very much that we'll have eaten it all in a week, as although we are a family of four at home, one is only small and another is very picky. Also, I forgot about the delivery and bought a bag of potatoes at the supermarket, so we now have a surfeit of potatoes in the house. I hope they will last better now the weather is cooling down.

I love the Autumn season. Don't even mind raking a few leaves in this "season of mists and mellow fruitfulness" (as cited in "To Autumn"; thank you, Mr John Keats). My "moss'd cottage-trees" are indeed bent with apples, but the gourd-swelling didn't amount to much, at least as far as ds's pumpkins were concerned. Both of them ended up really rather measly, so I'll have to purchase one for Hallowe'en.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that box looks good. We used to get one, but never managed to eat it all (one aimed at 2 people) before the next one arrived. It might be time to try again now we're 3...

    Just about to post up what the latest Sew magazine has in for you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear your feeling better. The riverford box looks great too.

    ReplyDelete