Wednesday, 21 October 2009

A glut of Autumn apples

I collected these windfalls in our garden yesterday. The tree is still loaded with apples, so there'll be more to come. Our apple consumption has shot up: baked apples on Friday, apple crumble for Sunday lunch. I've now started palming apples off on friends and neighbours, as we can't possibly eat them all. We'll have to keep a few in reserve, though, as ds has expressed an interest in apple-bobbing at Hallowe'en.

In the search for ideas of what else to do with the apples, I came across this yummy-looking recipe, in ds's Shrek Cookbook (which is unfortunately now out of print):



I shall also be turning to A Little House Cookbook, which contains collected recipes and food history related to the Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. PP 122 - 133 cover apple turnovers, apple pie, birds' nest pudding, fried apples and onions, and apple-core vinegar.


I've learned a lot about frontier foods, and American cookery in general, from this book. I was surprised to discover that the "biscuits" referred to in the Little House books are actually what English people would call a dinner roll! Over here, a biscuit is a hard object, such as Americans might call a cookie, or maybe a cracker?


However, it's not always easy to transpose the recipes for an English kitchen. The amounts are in American measures, which is not insurmountable, but it is impossible to buy salt pork, or some of the other supplies, over here, and I also have no idea how to translate "homogenized milk", "lima" or "navy" beans into UK English. If any American readers know the answer to this, please leave a comment and enlighten me!

3 comments:

  1. You might find if you look very carefully at your pint of milk that it too is homogenized. I have no idea what the process is but I think it mixes up the cream and non cream bit and somehow keeps them mixed up.

    I'm sure you used to get cream rising to the top of the milk bottle because me and my sister used to fight to get the bottle first to have creamy cereal (which idea now makes me go "yuck") but you don't get that now I'm sure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Louiz is right, most of our milk here is homogenized. As for the others I am lost!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha. I have now been informed that the lima bean is a butter bean in UK English, and a navy bean is a haricot bean. Both easily available in the UK, either canned or dried, so I'll be able to tackle those recipes after all. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete