Wednesday, 11 November 2009

TLBG: Planning for a green christmas

The current topic for That Little Big Greener is how environmental concerns shape christmas present-giving.

I try hard to achieve the reduce principle (as discussed previously), but this is not so easy at christmas, with two children in the house. Santa fills the kids' stockings with little bits, and whilst recognising that a lot of the little bits are, in fact, unnecessary tat, I'm too soft-hearted to bring an end to this family tradition. I have asked Santa to scale down the contents slightly, though.

We have stopped present exchange with various friends' children, because all our kids were drowning in an excess of presents. Also, for several years, dh and I have bought items needed for the house, as a joint present to and from each other - just like Laura and Almanzo in their first married christmas - they chose a set of glassware from the Montgomery Ward catalogue (See The First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder).

For the presents I do give, I sometimes give home-made food gifts. However, I very rarely give sewn or knitted items, only if I am sure the recipient will appreciate the item. (I'll gloss over my poor record at crafting to deadlines, which means I might not reliably finish projects in time for the holidays!) Anyone who wants to give home-made presents might like to take a look at http://www.skiptomylou.org/handmade-gift-ideas/, where there are some lovely craft ideas, categorised by recipient.

We also make our own wrapping paper. Last year ds and I potato-printed snowmen, christmas trees and robins onto (recycled) brown paper to make our gift-wrap. We also made strings of paper beads to hang on our christmas tree.

I wonder what we'll make in this year's christmas crafts session. No doubt I'll post about it here in due course.

3 comments:

  1. Kids stockings are really tricky aren't they?! Thanks for posting. The topic is decorations for next week so I can't wait to see what you'll be making.
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That all sounds fabulous! My father's family always did enormous, over the top Christmases when my brother and I were small, and I looked forward to doing the same with my children... only now that I have a son, I find myself erring on the side of "ten (or less) toys" and wanting to do the whole handmade holidays thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making your own wrapping is a wonderful idea, I have a tendancy to use brown paper and ribbon.

    ReplyDelete