Monday, 21 December 2009

Apple Strudel Cardigan



After months of procrastination, I have now finished knitting the Apple Strudel cardigan I first cast on for back in February - even before I had started writing this blog! It had a long period (seven months!) sitting in my UFOs basket, but I picked it up again about three weeks ago, and since then have knitted both sleeves and button bands.

The pattern was in Yarn Forward magazine issue 7.


I can't recommend this pattern wholeheartedly, as there were errors in it. The sleeve decreases are wrong - if you followed them, you'd end up with sleeves hanging down near your knees. The number of stitches at the cuffs do not work for 2-2 rib in the non-cable sleeve. The pattern instructions for the button bands are the wrong way round (since the buttonholes must go in the left hand overlap, to be on the cable side of the front).

The finished item is, however, really lovely. Even my hard-to-please 14 y.o remarked it looked like something you would buy in Topshop. Now that really is praise, as it's her favourite clothes shop.

I especially love my buttons, which I bought at vast expense in John Lewis:


I could, optionally, add facings to the button bands. I bought some embellished organza expressly for this purpose, but now I'm wondering whether it will be easy to sew button holes in sequinned and embroidered fabric? Also, I think it might make the garment a bit too seasonally festive, which is OK right now, but probably not so good in January. So I'll have to think of something else to do with this:


I have half a metre. If anyone has any suggestions, do let me know.

2 comments:

  1. That is lovely, and it's good to know about the mistakes as I'm thinking about making it myself.

    The buttons are just fabulous too.

    I can't think of anything to do with the fabric, other than possibly using it to wrap presents with, which seems a waste for such lovely fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cardigan looks great, adding some fab buttons is a great finishing touch. Half a meter would maybe make a very simple top?

    ReplyDelete