Tuesday, 1 December 2009

A christmas reading list

Every year I have a pre-christmas reading ritual.

I read the whole of these two:

I was a big Rumer Godden fan as a kid. I read The Story of Holly and Ivy to ds for the first time last year. I wasn't sure he would like it, as it's partly about dolls, but he listened spellbound. Readers, if you want your heart to be warmed, this is a good choice.

The Thirteen Days of Christmas is about a possible source of the carol about the partridge in a pear tree. It's historical as well as being funny, and features some old christmas carols too. My copy, which has Shirley Hughes illustrations, is rather old and tattered now - I've had it since I was ten.

I also like to read extracts from some titles, which aren't strictly christmas books, but which have relevant parts:
  1. Dicey's Song by Cynthia Voigt: where Dicey goes christmas shopping for her brothers and sisters.
  2. What Katy Did at School by Susan Coolidge: chapter 11 - the Misses Carrs' christmas boxes, which were "always quoted in the Nunnery afterwards, as an example of what papas and mammas could accomplish, when they were of the right sort and really wanted to make schoolgirls happy".
  3. End of Term by Antonia Forest: pages about the Shepherd Boy, which forms part of the girls' christmas concert.
  4. Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder: when Mr Edwards crosses the Verdigris river to bring presents to the little girls. Although I wonder what my kids would say, if their christmas consisted of a penny, a tin cup, some candy and a little white cake. How times have changed....
After that, I move on to some titles for adults. Yes, it's true: I do also read books for grown-ups!


Once I've worked my way through this list, I'll feel like I'm all mentally prepared for christmas.

Do you have any festive reading in preparation for the winter celebrations? Want to recommend a few more titles for me? I'm sure my list could stand a few additions.

2 comments:

  1. Good book list! I really like Cynthia Voigt, and Rumer Godden - I haven't heard of that one, I'll keep an eye out for it.

    Festive preparations for me include spending a week trying to find where we put the decorations last year, giving up and buying more... and then finding where last years went when I get home with them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have read any of those titals, will have to search my libary tomorrw! I used to read the Jolly Christmas postmas every year but its wearing a bit thin now T's 13!

    ReplyDelete