Saturday, 25 July 2009
Because then I could attach these lovely edgings to finished sewn objects.
Also I could tackle this, which I want to knit everytime I look at it:
It has a picot crocheted edging which I don't know how to do. The instructions say blithely, "crochet a picot edge, making buttonholes as you go".... er, how??
I do own two crochet hooks in different sizes, which I use for picking up dropped stitches, and, lately, for provisional cast-on.
Apparently provisional cast-on is a simple crocheted chain, so I suppose that is a beginning in crochet. Perhaps one day I'll get hold a some instructions for beginners, and have a proper go.
Meantime, repeat after me, "I must not start anything else before FINISHING something off existing list".
Thursday, 23 July 2009
I used Lazy May embroidery patterns published in Sew Hip issue 6. They were fun to stitch. I embroidered a selection of the outer space designs on the pillowcase, and along the top of the duvet cover.
For the applique, I used two rocket print panels from Prints Charming:
Ds has already slept in his new sheets. He is very happy.
Tuesday, 21 July 2009
Our runner beans have finally got going - tiny beans are appearing now.
Ds's vegetables are also growing well: a sweetcorn plant (cornstalk on left hand side), and a pumpkin plant (front of picture) mingled with self-seeded nasturtiums.
Ds is very excited by the cornstalk - he loves sweetcorn. I hope it produces some for him. The pumpkin plant has a healthy number of flowers on it, and is growing like a weed now, so I am quite hopeful about a hallowe'en pumpkin.
I expect all these will crop about the time we are away on holiday, in typical fashion!
Friday, 17 July 2009
Embroidery is lovely and portable. Just right for when you want to take your sewing out of doors in good weather. Infants' sports day was cancelled owing to torrential rain today, so I hope the weather improves this weekend.
Monday, 13 July 2009
It's a pity we do not have a local show to submit our wonderful potatoes to, like the one in a nearby village that we attended last weekend. This was in the old-fashioned country fair tradition, with a marquee full of Victoria sponge cakes, garden produce and hand-made crafts. After we had looked at the exhibits, dh declared he should have submitted some potatoes. And I opined that next year, I would have to submit entries to the knitting and needlework classes, as none of the prize-winners was as good as some of my FOs.
But perhaps I have too rosy a view of my own craft output.
I smiled to see that for the teenage cookery class there were no entries. I doubt our dd would make the effort either (she wasn't with us on this occasion, having spurned a village show as "boring").
I'll have to find out whether outsiders are permitted to participate, next year.
Saturday, 11 July 2009
Wednesday, 8 July 2009
I haven't done much quilting to date, but this seems to be a good way in.
A quilt is a big project, but a quilting bee breaks the task down. Rather than slog away making twelve blocks in similar fabrics, each participant makes twelve different blocks, one per month, each with a different colour set and/or theme.
Every month one person supplies fabrics to the others. Everyone makes a block. These are sent back to the person whose turn it was, who can then put them together with backing and binding fabrics as necessary to make a full-size quilt. After 12 months, all the participants have a quilt each.
It's also a way of making more friends in the online world :-)
You can read more details about how it works at Claire's blog here.
Most of the quilting bees online I've seen have been in the States, but this one is based in the UK/Europe, so the postage costs will not be too bad.
Anyone reading this who is interested should sign up by leaving a comment at Claire's blog. There are five of us so far, so we do need more participants.
Sunday, 5 July 2009
Spurred on by a whole week of sun, I swung into action on Saturday morning. I made the custard base and left it chilling in the fridge while we went to the school fair.
Friday, 3 July 2009
The engineer came today, cleaned the burners and fitted a new thermocouple. I hoped this would do the trick. But no. We have to replace the gas valve, at a cost (estimated) of £200. And the bloody thing will not re-light at all now, so when the hot water that's left in the tank is gone, there will be no more until the boiler is fixed.
The sad thing about unexpected domestic expenses is their negative impact on fabric purchases. I was planning to import some Heather Ross yardage, but now I'll have to wait till next month.
Still, could be worse. Tim the boiler engineer has promised to come back tomorrow at 8 am with a new gas valve. I'm quite charmed to find a local tradesperson prepared to work on a Saturday.
Fingers crossed for hot water tomorrow, then.