Wednesday, 10 February 2010

Rosy Beet Soup


After a surfeit of cakes in recent weeks, I decided to make soup last weekend. Actually, the main driver was having three beetroots still knocking around in my fridge after several weeks. A disadvantage of the organic box deliveries is that sometimes, you get veg that you just don't know what to do with.

This is my own recipe, which produces a lovely dark red, velvety-textured soup, that also freezes beautifully. I've been making it for years, whenever I've seen a very cheap bunch of beets. I've reproduced it below for anyone else with spare beetroots.

Ingredients

  • 1 lb beetroots - scrubbed well, but not peeled
  • 12 oz potatoes
  • 1 onion
  • 2 tbl olive oil
  • 2.25 pints vegetable stock
Method

  1. Put the beets in a large pan and add water to cover. Bring to the boil and simmer for around 40 minutes, or until a table knife goes in to the beets without much trouble.

  2. While the beets are cooking, peel and dice the potatoes, and chop the onion.

  3. Drain and rinse the cooked beets under cold water. Remove the skins - they should slip off easily - any stubborn bits can be removed with a potato peeler. Dice the cooked beets.

  4. Rinse out the pan and dry it. Put in 2 tbl olive oil and heat, then fry the onion for 2 minutes. Add the diced potatoes and beetroot and cook for about 5 minutes over a low heat.

  5. Pour in the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.

  6. Put the cooked soup in a blender and whizz until smooth. At this point, you can put some in plastic containers for freezing.

  7. Return to the pan and reheat the soup gently before serving. If you like, you can also swirl in a teaspoon of double cream in each individual bowl.

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, I love beetroots, but nobody else at home does, so a freezable beet soup sounds like a winner to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sound delicious, I shall have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello
    I found your lovely blog via Janet Clare. I have looked at virtually all of it. I particularly like your garden/veg photos,the holiday laundry bags are gorgeous and the flamenco pinny is very fetching. You are very talented. I look forward to reading more in the future.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete