Saturday, 13 March 2010

Spring?

I hesitated over using this title, as it's still rather cold in the Trent Valley, considering it is mid-March. Ordinarily our japonica would be in bloom by now, and the daffodils would be coming out: neither of those are flowering yet, but we do have crocuses and snowdrops. And even though there are not many flowers in the garden, I have some in the house. After all, it is mother's day weekend here.



In preparation for the coming Spring, we have started seed potatoes chitting in our garage (note re-purposing of old egg-boxes.)


And like other UK bloggers, I'm also mildly encouraged by being able to hang out washing to dry in the sunshine:



In winter, our washing has to be draped on an indoor line, causing a minor eyesore in our bathroom. However, I'm opposed to the tumble dryer solution on sustainability grounds (not to mention the interests of our electricity bill) and since we previously got through several years of cloth nappy use without one, I think we'll be able to manage!

3 comments:

  1. I am in awe of anyone who doesn't have a tumble drier. I could not exist without one though I do line dry outdoors as often as poss. There is just too much washing here to hang around the house.
    And thanks for linking to my blog you are too kind.
    Claire x
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have a tumble drier, we don't have room. Most of the time we have washing draped over the clothes horses in the living room. Unless we have visitors in which case they get removed to our bedroom. I do envy people with gardens to hang their washing out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bright and cheerful red tulips.

    ReplyDelete