Sunday, 11 April 2010

In a dash

I tried my hand at a bit more sewing this weekend and completed this Dash make-up bag:

It was the third time I'd sewn a bag with a zip closure, and once again, sewing the zip was a bit of a struggle. I'm starting to wonder whether the issue is really with my (vintage) sewing machine. I was using a zipper foot, but the main problem seems to be a lack of flexibility in the presser foot, so whenever I'm trying to sew past the zip closure, the foot gets stuck against the zip closure, the needle sews in the same position (as the fabric can't be fed past the presser foot) and the bobbin thread then breaks. Surely this can't be right? Or am I doing something wrong?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone with a more modern machine has the same type of problem.

For reference, my machine is a Jones c. 1982. Although this machine has seen me through many years of sewing, right from when I was learning "needlework" (to use the terminology of that time) at school, I'm now starting to be aware of its limitations. For example, it stitches straight and zig-zag, but has no embroidery stitches. I have used it for applique using a very close zig-zag stitch, but I would love a satin-stitch or a blanket-stitch option.

While I was busy sewing this bag, dh and ds had gone to London. They spent four hours in the British Museum, exploring the African, Mexican and Ancient Egyptian galleries, as well as seeing pieces of the Staffordshire Hoard - still covered in mud, according to ds. The children's multimedia guide was obviously hugely enjoyed by ds, age 7. Pity I missed it, but having done a lot of looking-after during the Easter holidays, I felt like a quiet day, plus had teenage girl ferrying-around requirements.

No comments:

Post a Comment