Friday, 24 September 2010

Collective knitting nouns

This post is about knitting, but rather tangential!

Wikipedia defines a collective noun as follows: "In linguistics, a collective noun is a word used to define a group of objects, where objects can be people, animals, emotions, inanimate things, concepts, or other things. For example, in the phrase 'a pride of lions,' pride is a collective noun."

While I was stacking up the mittens I'd knitted lately, I started to wonder if there was a collective noun for a group of mittens - if you have more than a pair, obviously. I searched lots of lists, but the only vaguely knitting-related collective noun I found was a flock of sheep - and I already knew that one.

Trying to think of my own, I came up with "a knit of mittens"? Of course this could apply to many other knitted items, but as you can have "a flock of seagulls" and also "a flock of sheep", I suppose you could equally have both "a knit of mittens" and "a knit of socks".

I also rather like the idea of "a yarn of knitters", and may propose it to this list of Some that Might Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment