Saturday, 25 September 2010

Little Jam-Pots

In an annual ritual, I made some jam today.


My jam-making urge seems to stem from Chapter 2 of More of Milly-Molly-Mandy by Joyce Lankester Brisley, in which Milly-Molly-Mandy has a surprise. The surprise involves a little store-room where Milly-Molly-Mandy's mother keeps her home-made jams. Ever since I read that story, I have loved the idea of shelves stacked with ranks of glossy jars.

Sadly, my own jam-making is inhibited by lack of time, plus not having access to a huge garden full of soft fruit- unlike Milly-Molly-Mandy's mother. At present we have two apple trees and one gooseberry bush in our garden, plus access to a public footpath along which brambles grow.

As a result, I tend to make one batch of blackberry and apple jam every year, and today was the day.

Here's my granny's jam-pan, just arrived at the rolling boil stage. Twenty-five minutes later, I had 1.5 litres of blackberry & apple jam to put in jars.


If you're not familiar with the Milly-Molly-Mandy stories, which are pastoral tales of English village life  set in the 1920s, you can find out more at this blog.

2 comments:

  1. Yum. And I had the MMM books as a kid, loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo that looks great, your family is so lucky!!

    xxh

    ReplyDelete