Friday, 10 September 2010

Rosy baby mittens


This is the very first pattern I made up all by myself. I wrote it all down and posted it on Ravelry as a free Ravelry download (Ravelry log-in required).

The mittens are worked in the round with grafting at the end to minimise seaming. They include a little ribbing at the wrists to help them stay on. You can't see this, though, as it's hidden beneath the garter-stitch cuff. The mitten tops are grafted with Kitchener stitch. If you need full instructions on how to do this, I would suggest looking at Stitchdiva's excellent tutorial.

The mittens' actual size is 6.5 cms wide at the widest point x 14 cms high (with the cuff folded back as shown above). This size will fit a baby age approx 9 - 18 months. I used Easyknits bamboo merino mix in shade choc-choc cherry, about a quarter of a skein, so I estimate you need about 100m of yarn. You also need a set of 3.25mm dpns, or size required to achieve correct gauge (tension) - which is 15 sts and 19 rows per 5 cms in stocking stitch.

I'm quite proud of having published a design, even if it is extremely simple!

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, they look lovely. And I have a nephew or niece due end of January, so I will be looking at that for some early (i.e. too big) presents

    ReplyDelete