Sunday, 14 November 2010

Artistry

I went to the Lustre crafts event this weekend. Hosted annually by the University of Nottingham, it's a marketplace for artists of all kinds, with a focus on quality and uniqueness.

There was plenty to admire with over 50 artists exhibiting. As usual, the knitted items only made me consider whether I could achieve similar myself. The fabulous jewellery was also fabulously expensive, so I didn't buy any, but I did discuss the use of old coins in jewellery with Rachel Eardley, who also produces lovely pen and ink drawings and embroidered pieces. I also loved the work of Katie Heeks (only I didn't have enough money to spare on this occasion).

There were also copious amounts of beautiful ceramics. And here, I did actually buy something! I bought this lovely frog and tadpoles bowl for a christmas present.


It's for a biologist, so it seemed particularly apt. It was made by artist Mary Johnson, who had lots of ceramics in similar style, featuring honeybees, mushrooms and ladybirds.

No comments:

Post a Comment