Thursday, 27 May 2010

Baby pirate hat


I finished the baby hat pictured above. This was a fun pattern to work, and the frequent colour changes mean you won't get bored, although you will end up with about 100 ends to work in (it feels like it anyway!). I made this one in the infant size, using various scraps of cotton dk. The only adjustment I made was to shorten the braids slightly, as the pattern specification seemed a little long for a baby.

This is a free pattern - Cheery Scrap Cap - available at Petite Purls - an awesome resource for baby and children's knitting patterns I've mentioned before. The pattern includes an alternative girl's version with little hearts instead of the skulls.

I now have nothing except languishing items on my knitting needles. Could this mean more progress on Resolution 2 (finish items on my "languishing" list)? Watch this space...

Sunday, 23 May 2010

Cutting Out

Today I cut out 5 ins. squares in preparation for my first ever full-size quilt. 40 in the small brown print, 40 in the large brown print, and 64 in assorted prints - mainly in greens.



Then I laid out the squares out to form 16 blocks. This photo was taken during this process: 


Next weekend, I intend to pin and sew the blocks. I'm working towards the quilt top, but I'm ashamed to say I still have no batting, no border fabric and no backing fabric. I'll try and get on to this, this week.

Friday, 21 May 2010

Not a lot going on...

I haven't done much crafting this week. Instead I have been in the Dealing with Teenagers darkness; others with a hormonal teenage girl (or even a boy, presumably) at home will have some inkling of what that means. I certainly don't want to re-live it by writing about it on here!

I have made minor progress on a baby hat for yet another new arrival in our extended family - baby boy this time. I'm taking the opportunity to reduce the vast amount of scraps in my stash, by knitting the Cheery Scrap Hat pattern from the Petite Purls website, which I highly recommend if you ever want to knit something for a baby or young child. There are some lovely patterns on there.

The new look on this blog is temporary; it is only because I'm having some difficulty getting the old template to load properly.

Monday, 17 May 2010

Snowflake mitts


I do realise it's totally the wrong time of year to have made these! However, I loved the pattern, so after I'd finished my choc-cherry baby set, I cast on for these.

The pattern is from Yarn Forward magazine no 22. It was a good intro to fairisle, being reasonably small and manageable. However, the most fabulous thing about this project was the totally gorgeous Inca Cloud 100% alpaca yarn by Artesano. Lovely yarn, highly recommended by me - it has a wonderful handle.

This is the fourth pair of fingerless gloves I've made, and I fear I may be developing an obsession, as I just added the Primrose gloves from Yarn Forward no. 24 to my to-knit list. Although I don't actually have this YF issue, and I keep being outbid on ebay. Very annoying. I might have to resort to the digital download option available on Yudu.

Monday, 10 May 2010

Growing

The sun shone again on Sunday, so we spent some time in the garden.


The apple blossom is fully out now, later than usual, but still indicating a future of apple pie, baked apples, palming off apples on anyone who will accept them etc etc.

We planted all the potatoes in deep pots, as these ones were most successful last Summer. Dh keeps topping up the pots with earth to encourage bumper cropping. We have four pots going, all looking like this:


Dh has also planted my gooseberry bush, and staggeringly, there is fruit forming on it. I didn't think I'd get any crop this year, but maybe we will get one dessert out of it.

Saturday, 8 May 2010

Forward Plan

Not much crafting to report this week. My new enhanced job has new enhanced hours, so I was in the office for longer, and working at home also using my new enhanced remote log-in access.


I have however been amassing fabric, in preparation for tackling my first ever full-size quilt. I'm collecting green and brown fabrics, including some from the Verna range by Kate Spain for Moda. To the right in the above photo is a layer cake, which took rather longer than I anticipated in transit from the US (possibly owing to the volcanic ash cloud, which closed UK airspace for a while recently?). But actually, that's not such a bad thing, because the materials for this quilt add up to such a lot of outlay, I'm having to stagger the purchases (notwithstanding my new enhanced salary!)

Queen-sized cotton batting and 4 m of backing fabric required next.

I'm guessing it may also take me quite a long time to put the quilt together, so perhaps I'll post work in progress rather than waiting till I've got an FO to show you.

Sunday, 2 May 2010

Barbecue apron

In a very rare event, I sewed something for dh yesterday:


Dh wanted a cheerful apron for the barbecue season. I made this one out of IKEA fabric with billy goats, pine trees, chalets and snow-topped peaks. The ties and neckstrap are made out of leftover skull-and-crossbones fabric from ds's pirates shorts. I didn't work from a pattern as such, but used an old apron as a template, plus some measurements taken direct from dh.

This apron is longer than I would have chosen, but dh asked for it to be this length. Presumably he is thinking of potential for knees to get burned. Dear life... I'd better get a bucket of water ready before we light the barbecue.