Saturday, 14 May 2011

Lessons in crochet stitches

I'm on a mission to learn to crochet! I've planned four projects as a progressive introduction.

The first is a Work Your Way Up Bag, for which I used Rowan hand-knit cotton, and a 4.5mm hook. This is designed as a beginner's challenge, introducing various crochet stitches. 

Here's a pic of my Work In Progress, just to show you what a true beginner's crochet work looks like (hey, I'm not trying to pretend perfection on my blog!). I achieved smooth colour changes, but found it hard to maintain a consistent stitch count. However, I also improved as I worked, because the edges towards the top are not so bad.


Luckily I was able to hide all the unsavoury edges in the making-up! Thank goodness for seams! Here's the FO, which I think will be nice to take to the beach, if I get a chance this summer:


As well as learning lots of new stitches, I have learned two other things about crochet in the process of making this bag:
  • For the future, I will remember that it is necessary to work into the top stitch of the previous row's turning chain, in double-crochet rows. I'm hoping this may be easier when I'm more familiar with crochet and can identify more easily which is a stitch and which is a turning chain.
  • When making colour changes in crochet worked flat, you should work the colour change as part of the last stitch of the preceding row, to avoid the colour change showing in the work. Luckily I spotted this at the first colour change and so didn't have to go back too far to correct it.  
For my next project, I will be working in the round, working increases to produce a flat circle, using slip stitch (sl st) to join rounds, and undertaking some simple shaping. If all goes well, I should have more crochet to report in a couple of weeks.

3 comments:

  1. I think you are coming on in leaps and bounds - you're doing brilliantly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. most impressed, I keep saying I want to crochet - but still havent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To begin crocheting it is essential to start from the begin setup position. This is achieved by looping the yarn round itself into a looped ring, then inserting the hook into the loop and catching the yarn with your hook, and bringing it back up through the looped ring and lastly by tightening the slip knot onto your hook. The next task is to hold the crochet hook in your normal dominate hand in a style that suits you (either like a pen or as when holding a knife) whilst holding the yarn securely with your free hand just below the slip knot.
    crochet stitches

    ReplyDelete