Saturday, 18 June 2011

Filet crochet

My latest crochet project also incorporated a little sewing, with the crochet element being mainly decorative.


These are pot pourri sachets to hang in your wardrobe or keep in a drawer to gently scent your clothes. They measure approx 18 x 20 cm.

For the crochet, I used a 2.5mm hook and Rowan siena 4-ply mercerised cotton. I followed a pattern in The Crochet Bible, which I'd borrowed from the library, and produced two squares with different designs using filet mesh technique - the first time I'd tried this. Apparently filet crochet is most often done in white thread, but I like the contrast of the red one. Here's a photo where you can see it more clearly:



I also learned how to do a crocheted picot trim, and work a pattern partly from charted instructions.

The bags were made of repurposed fabric, from my extensive stash of worn-out pillowcases. The sachets are stuffed with dried rose petals I bought off ebay.

I think these are not too bad at all, so they are destined to be gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment