Sunday, 18 December 2011

I can sew a rainbow

... or the blog post in which I describe a sewing Plan, and hope it's not the kiss of death for the project!

I admired this rainbow quilt in Sew Hip magazine. For a while I've been considering making a modern quilt to give to dd, so she can take it with her when she goes off to college in a year or two, and this looks like a good candidate. Ideally I'd like to give it to her on her next birthday, which is in April.


The quilt pattern is being run as a series over several issues. As each of the colour blocks uses a different patchwork technique, and they are presented in order of difficulty, it looks like a great project for a person of limited quilting experience, like me.

As it's in parts, I can also stagger the cost of any materials needed. Although I do intend to use stash fabric whenever possible -  I already have enough fabrics to sew the blue, green and red pieces, and probably enough for the indigo too. But I did have to start by buying some orange fabric, as it's a colour I don't work with that often. I got this lot from Fabric Rehab, and some of it was in the sale!



Dd was in London visiting her elder sister this weekend, so I had a chance to make a start. The instructions start with the orange and blue panels (issue 35). I did the blue one first, which uses applique circles:


 Then I sewed the orange rail fence section:


Here's the evidence of completed sections from this weekend's sewing:


The small sections you can see at the front will form part of the border.

Issue 36 has the indigo and red sections in it, so when dd is next out of the house, I hope to tackle some of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment