Sunday, 22 January 2012

Organisation

Yesterday, I did some more sewing, and this time it was something useful for me. I made this tool roll to organise my double-pointed needles. I have quite a few now, and shamingly I have duplicates in some sizes, caused by not storing them in an organised way, so that I can't find the right needles. Hopefully this sewing project will put an end to the over-buying.

When rolled up, my finished dpn case looks like this:


And when unrolled, all my dpns are nicely organised like this:


The gaps are for needle sizes I don't own yet, so I have future-proofed my dpns case!

I'm pleased to say all the fabrics came out of stash. I like the finished result, and it is very tidy. I made this without a pattern and the steps are in the Tutorial below.

Tutorial: How to make a roll case for your dpns (or pencils, make up brushes, anything you like!)
1. Decide how big you want your finished case to be. Add one inch to each dimension for seam allowances. Cut two pieces of fabric in this size, and one piece of interlining. My pieces were 11 ins tall by 15 ins wide to produce a case approx 10 ins tall by 14 ins wide.

2. Decide how tall you want your inner pocket to be. Add 1 in to the height for hem and seam allowance. Cut one piece of coordinating fabric the same width as the other pieces, and the selected height. Pin, press and sew a narrow double hem at the top.

3. Lay the fabrics in this order: back piece right side down, interfacing, top piece right side up, pocket piece right side up, matching the bottom edges. Pin all the pieces together round the edges. Sew round with a 1/2 in seam allowance, pivoting at the corners.


4. Decide how the pocket should be divided. I found it easiest to put the dpns into the open pocket and pin at the tops to indicate the divides needed. Use a ruler and fade away marker to draw seam lines on the pocket. Stitch down each marked seam line, starting at the bottom, taking the stitching just above the pocket top hem, and then lock-stitching back down the hem to ensure secure stitching.

5. Cut a piece of twill tape long enough to be able to tie round your completed case - mine was 23 ins. Fold in half and pin in place at the middle of one side at the back. Stitch over the tape within the seam allowance, stitching several times to secure firmly in place.


6. Make an edging strip by sewing 2 ins wide fabric strips together. Fold in half along the length and press down the middle.

7. With right sides facing, pin the edging to the edge of the fabric. Mitre the corners (if you want instructions on how to do this, try looking here note: not my photos, but I like the clarity of them). Attach the edge to the body of the case with a 1/2 in seam allowance. Turn back and fold to the back, press. Pin the edging strip to the back, folding a small hem inside the edge to obtain a smooth edge as shown below. Slip-stitch in place by hand.

2 comments:

  1. very smart and lovely fabric too.
    thank you for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete