Saturday, 28 April 2012

I sewed a rainbow

Ta-da!





Yes, I finished it. And here it is in situ:


I bought 1.5 metres of the dark blue fabric for borders and binding as specified in the pattern but I only just had enough to complete the binding. I didn't get 8 x 6cm strips across the fabric width as instructed, but when I sewed together all the 6cm strips I could cut, some of which were rather short, I had just enough for continuous binding. There are only scraps of this fabric left, so if you are making this project and you'd rather not cut things really fine (pun not really intended!) I would buy an extra 0.5m to be sure of having enough.

Another tip for others: if I was making this again, I might also cut each of the final border pieces 2 inches wider. The finished quilt is 56 x 72 ins, so it works well on a single bed, but only just fits the width on a standard UK double bed. Or alternatively, it could be made double sized by using 6 coloured panels in each row instead of 5 and an 8 inch increase in the red and violet long border pieces.

It took me a bit longer than I anticipated but I am very happy with the result, and so is dd.

1 comment: