Tuesday, 5 June 2012

Jubilee Weekend

Thanks to the Diamond Jubilee we had a four day weekend. We took advantage of the holiday to take a trip up to Yorkshire.

Unfortunately the weather was not the best Britain has to offer. Watching the barges on TV on Sunday, I felt rather sorry for the queen and family, stuck outdoors for hours in the cold. The men were in warm uniforms but the women were wearing only light dresses. I hoped they had thermals underneath! It was even worse for the rowers, musicians and others on the accompanying boats, who didn't even have canopies to protect them from the rain.

But on Monday, there was sunshine in Yorkshire and so we were able to enjoy various community events. Ds had a go at archery and hunted for treasure clues. Then we admired the various scarecrows, got up to look like royal family members for the occasion. Here's ds with the Queen! One of her corgis was at her feet, but unfortunately I didn't capture that in the photo:


Later, dd and I took afternoon tea in the village hall, and brought a plate of jubilee cakes home for other family members:


It was rather nice, all in all. Although I would have liked five days even better. Not looking forward to going back to work.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Hun. Just wanted to let you know that I mentioned you in my versatile blogger post here

    I really enjoy reading your blog.

    We celebrate the queens birthday in september here in Perth. Maybe they'll telecast all of the jubilee footage then!
    Mini holidays are always nice though.

    ReplyDelete