Friday, 14 December 2012

Reduce, reduce, reduce

Last weekend, I got all of my yarn out of the baskets and counted it all up. Looks like this is becoming an annual December ritual, since I did just the same last year.

After a whole year of attemtping to stashdown, I really don't have very much less yarn than I had at this time last year. Last year, when I did the same count, I had 50 whole balls, 68 partial balls and 27 scraps (each less than half a skein). The same assessment this year finds 36 whole balls (down by 14!), 67 partial balls (not much change) and 41 scraps. Eek, my scraps have gone right up! But perhaps that is OK, as it can be a side effect of using whole balls.

Here is my stash, all laid out for your enjoyment. Lace weight is on the left, the weights increase to the single bag of bulky on the right. I keep it in ziplock bags with yarn wrappers included so I can easily identify yarn.


I did use up more yarn than I bought over the year, so there was a stashing down overall, and it was about 700 yards. Not bad... I would like to do better next year though. I should note that eight of the full balls are already earmarked for planned projects between Jan and March 2013. That should get me off to a good start.

I intend to follow these rules in 2013:
  • I will always look for stash options first when I want to knit something. 
  • I will look for stash options for House Cup participation. At least 2 classes out of stash before I may buy any new yarn for one new project (attempt to prevent further stash growth! Although I did stick to this rule last year, I found I still bought lots of yarn as well and hope to reduce this, in 2013). 
  • Yarn purchase only allowed when I have a specific project identified. No buying yarn just because it is pretty. 
I will do monthly reports again in 2013. Look for the stashdown tags.

No comments:

Post a Comment