Friday, 12 April 2013

A tornado of cakes

I took ds to see Oz the Great and Powerful this week; we really enjoyed it. That's the very first time I sat through a whole film in 3-D. It was awesome, wonderfully visual, I really liked it, and so did ds, although I think it might be rather frightening for small children.

After that, I really felt like making something out of the Oz-themed book of makes. So I whipped up a batch of cyclone cup-cakes.


They have lemon curd filling and then meringue on top. 


You're supposed to pipe the meringue to look like cyclones. I would have benefited from better equipment at this point, as I had one of those plastic icing sets, with a plunger, but I could only get enough meringue mixture in for two cakes at a time, and it wasn't ideal to have to keep handling the meringue. I am going to get a proper piping bag for next time!



My finished cakes do not look as good as the original book version:


Hope they pass the taste test, though! 

This wasn't the only cake I made. Here's my kitchen, looking like a disaster zone:


I have somewhere between 20 and 30 people coming over to our house for pre-drinks tomorrow. My dd was eighteen this week and the main celebrations are this weekend. I made two dozen small cakes and two large ones. Hope it will be enough!




No comments:

Post a Comment