Monday, 30 September 2013

Stashdown #9: September 2013

My stashdown is Fail this month. Owing to the House Cup crafting timetables: I had to buy 15 balls of worsted weight yarn for a big intarsia project I'm now working on. I have actually worked two of those down already, but it was still yarn in during September. I also bought 2 balls of Rowan lima to make my London hat, reported previously.

Yarn in: KP Wool of the Andes 1650 plus Rowan Lima 220 = 1870 yards.

I finished two projects and used up 204 yards

London hat - 103 yards of Rowan Lima
Crochet toadstool pot - 101 yards of Wendy mode chunky (this was deep stash yarn, leftover from a christmas stocking I made back in 2010)

Net for month: +1666
YTD: +154

It's not as bad as it sounds. I'm nearly at the end of my Lady Tryamour socks, which will be over 300 yards. Another couple of days should do it, and then I'll be back in the right direction again. After that, I'll be back on the intarsia so that yarn will start to go down too. Also, I was in loop in Islington yesterday and I bought no yarn at all. My stashdown psychology has now made it quite difficult for me to buy any yarn if I don't have a definite project in mind.

That mushroom again...

I finished another project at the weekend - crochet this time.

My beloved Fly Agaric makes yet another appearance, as a container for, er, not sure yet!

This was a quick project to make. I used stash yarn (Wendy mode chunky) and a 5mm hook. The buttons on the top are just for effect - they are cheap acrylic ones. The pattern is available for sale on Ravelry.

Inside you can keep things:

Another shot with the buttons in better view:

Thursday, 26 September 2013

Socks in progress

In my last post, I mentioned I was knitting some socks.

I'm making the Lady Tryamour socks from the Knitter's book of socks, a book I had for Christmas but this is the first pattern I've made from it so far.

It is a lovely book of patterns, but I have a major grumble, in that not all the patterns include a range of sizes. Some of them are women's M only, some are women's M and L, and having very small feet, I am saddened by the missing S sizes. Also, I really feel that when someone shells out hard cash for a hardback knitting book, it's not too much to expect a complete range of sizes to be included for every pattern. It's not so easy to adjust them, either, since most of them have reasonably complex stitch patterns involving charts!

But I was very happy to see that this particular pattern comes in a small size. So far I've knitted up to the fold-over cuff on the first sock and they are AWESOME!

Not a very good photo, as taken in rather poor light, but the stitch pattern involves a relief design of buds and leaves.

I have train journeys on Sunday in which I hope to make good progress on these socks. They are taking longer than I expected and I'm falling behind on my other knitting plans. Must knit more!!

Saturday, 21 September 2013

Long Week

It's been a long old week, and not the best one I had.

Last weekend, dh and I drove dd down to her University town on the south coast, and helped her carry all her belongings into her residence hall. It was 200 miles in each direction. Since then, it's been very quiet at home - perhaps a little too quiet, even: I'll have to get ds to make a bit more noise! However, I have noticed the new availability of the bathroom, TV switched off, and the complete absence of being woken late at night by dd returning from various revels, so not without compensations.

I have finished my hat, and here it is:


Back - a view of London's skyline:

It is technically finished, but sadly, it is rather tight round my head. I made the smallest size; the medium is 2 inches bigger in circumference which will surely be too big. Trying to decide my next move. I can either wear it, even if it is a little snug, or frog it and re-knit, with adjustments to the medium sized pattern. Still thinking. 

Meantime, I cast on for a pair of lovely socks. More on this later. 

Monday, 9 September 2013

Back to school

I have to apologise for my absence. It's been a month since my last post, I remarked today.

I can't do a stashdown report for August because it was zero in, zero out. I did no knitting, indeed no crafting. The first half of August was a pretty lazy holiday time, as identified in a set of what-I-did-on-my-holidays posts on here. The second half was a flurry of completely non-crafting activity: the A Level results came out and I was pitched into a whirlwind of assistance with university preparation, because dd had got the necessary grades to go to her first choice.

I find the start of the school year conducive to a return of the crafting mojo, as well as a general improvement in organisation. Since 1 September I have been buying yarn and crafting. Look at this evidence of progress:

I hope to finish this hat by the weekend. I have grand crafting plans this month, that also involve a fly agaric (nearly done, needs buttons), a field of flowers (on the needles), and a pair of golden socks (yarn on hand, needs winding). We'll see how far I get...