Friday, 31 January 2014

Honey for tea cosy

I knitted a tea cosy this week. 


The designer wrote that she was inspired by the poem, The Old Vicarage at Grantchester by Rupert Brooke, specifically the last two lines, which read

Stands the Church clock at ten to three?
And is there still honey for tea? 

If you want to read the whole of the poem, you can find an annotated version here

Brooke is best known for his sonnet that begins "If I should die, think only this of me..." which he wrote during the First World War. He wrote this one whilst he was in Germany before the war, so it isn't really a war poem (although it perhaps contains a little foreshadowing) but it is a poem full of nostalgia and homesickness. 

Anyway, my tea cosy is like a honeycomb. I knitted the bees for it as specified for one side, but on the other, I sewed some bee buttons I had. 



Which side do you like best?

No comments:

Post a Comment