Thursday, 24 April 2014

Love Sewing magazine

A new sewing magazine has just launched in the UK. Since Sew Hip closed, I haven't regularly read a sewing magazine. I've bought Pretty Patches and Sewing World a few times, but neither of them has really engaged me. Anyway, the introductory special offer was pretty tempting so I thought I'd give this one a try. 


It wasn't very good! But at least it was cheap! And there was a "free" Fat Quarter of fabric included, so it wasn't a total waste of money. Equally, though, I don't want to write it off just yet, as I was unimpressed with the first editions of Sew Hip and Sew magazines too, and Sew Hip went on to be quite a fun magazine, before it started going downhill towards the end.

I mainly found the patterns in this one uninspiring. The shift dress (on front cover, pictured above) really didn't appeal, and I found the accessories unattractive (some of them even elicited the word "hideous" from me, but for fear of offending a designer, I'll gloss over which). There was the inevitable piece of girl's clothing, and nothing for a little boy - although as my son is now eleven, he is really rather big to be sewing stuff for, so I shouldn't be so exercised about this. Still, old habits die hard...

I quite liked this one, for a little craft case (to hold pencils and notepad. Or you could adapt it for crochet hooks, perhaps)


There were two nice baby projects too, which were both book extracts. But I don't have any call for baby stuff at present.

I probably wouldn't have bought it in the shop, and it's a pity, because I'd like to take up sewing more actively again.

Hopefully it will be better next month. My initial offer was for three months' subscription, so I'll see how it goes. And if it's better, I'll report back!

No comments:

Post a Comment