Friday, 31 July 2015


I've recently been developing my embellishing skills, by completing some knitted projects that incorporated finishing steps of embroidery.

These mittens included little embroidered flowers. They were very hard to get right, or at least, to get them to look the same on both mittens:

Here they are complete. The little flowers really add to the mittens, I think.

This knitted bag required over 200 French knots, over 100 cross stitches and some duplicate stitches too.

Here's the finished bag:

I really like it! I want to make another, only in green this time.

Do you like to tackle projects that help you learn new skills? Feel free to share in the comments box.

Tuesday, 21 July 2015


I recently acquired this lovely cantilever sewing box.

When I opened it, it was full of sewing supplies. My grandma used to work in textiles, and when I was a little girl, she used to make some of my clothes. 

There were a lot of cotton reels. I shan't have to buy any black, grey or navy thread for a while.

The tobacco tins were probably empties belonging to my grandad. He died nearly thirteen years ago. Now they are full of buttons. My grandma never throws a spare button away! 

I also brought home a lovely picture of my grandad in his workplace to cherish. 

In the sewing box, I also found the old-fashioned steel hooks for crochet pictured above. I must search the internet, as I'm pretty sure the sizes are not given in mm.

I have these because my grandma's house has to be emptied. She is moving into residential care. At 95, she's not done too badly. I am holding on to the memories I have of crafting with her as a little girl. They were such happy days! 

Friday, 10 July 2015

Knitting in the Summer

Trying to knit on my socks...

But, having limited time to knit owing to workload and family commitments. Hmmm.

At least I got a cup of tea!

Friday, 3 July 2015


I had fun with my innocent minihats last month. I already posted about the ice-cream themed ones, but as well as those, I made another which was an experiment: I miniaturised a colourwork hat I made previously.

Here's the original hat (photo was taken on my phone):

The hat was a pattern from the Lucinda Guy book Northern Knits. I am very fond of her patterns, and it's where the Marta bag that is currently on my needles comes from. If I was making that hat again though, I'd go up a needle size. It is a little snug, so I'm planning to offer it to my niece, but I digress...

Here's the mini version as an innocent minihat, just for fun.

I used the same yarn. The full size hat is in the pic for scale.

If you're a new reader and you don't know about the minihats, there is information here.

Stashdown#6 June 2015

My yarn stash is going down again. Although I'm not back in negative numbers yet, I made fair progress in June. And I did not buy any yarn.

I finished six projects during June: three innocent minihats, a pair of socks, a tea cosy, and a pair of mittens. Yarn out looks like this:

53 yards assorted dk on minihats
97 yards 4ply on tea cosy
232 yards 4ply on mittens
285 yards Artesano sock yarn on socks
Total out 671 yards

Year to date:
CF from last month +818
+0 in
-671 out
Net YTD +147.