Tuesday, 21 July 2015

Vintage

I recently acquired this lovely cantilever sewing box.


When I opened it, it was full of sewing supplies. My grandma used to work in textiles, and when I was a little girl, she used to make some of my clothes. 

There were a lot of cotton reels. I shan't have to buy any black, grey or navy thread for a while.


The tobacco tins were probably empties belonging to my grandad. He died nearly thirteen years ago. Now they are full of buttons. My grandma never throws a spare button away! 


I also brought home a lovely picture of my grandad in his workplace to cherish. 


In the sewing box, I also found the old-fashioned steel hooks for crochet pictured above. I must search the internet, as I'm pretty sure the sizes are not given in mm.

I have these because my grandma's house has to be emptied. She is moving into residential care. At 95, she's not done too badly. I am holding on to the memories I have of crafting with her as a little girl. They were such happy days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment