Wednesday, 28 October 2015

Stashdown #9: August and September

Well. Tumbleweed is blowing across this blog, that's for sure. I'm wondering if maybe my blogging has run its course. Perhaps it has...

It would be nice to finish up the year though, so I will make an effort and write a stashdown report.

August - no yarn in, no yarn out. There, that was nice and easy! I was taking a crafting break, working my socks off at work, apart from a lovely week ds and I spent in Northumberland.

September - mostly in the wrong direction, as I stashed up for my Fall knitting plans. 2291 yards of yarn in, to make a sweater, a shawl, and contribute to developments on my bed of roses blanket.

I did knit a few things, but not much was actually finished, so it's a bit discouraging to look at the figures:

Yarn in 2291
Yarn out in FOs 254
YTD +1612.

Sunday, 2 August 2015


I have a hankering for a bed of roses blanket. Four years ago, I made a couple of squares for it. And last month, I made another two:

So, now I have four in total!

There is a way to go to get to a finished blanket, and it will involve buying more yarn. The yarn I used for these four is discontinued, so if anyone knows a 100% cotton yarn, approx aran weight with 80 metres per 50g, perhaps you could let me know via the comments box.  I would want to use lots of different colours in my eventual blanket, so colour matching is not so important.

I also made this little goldfish, just for fun!

If I didn't work in a hot-desk environment, where we are not allowed personal items on desks, I would totally have it in my office.

I would like to be better at crochet. Maybe I shall put that as an objective for next year. I can't add it to this year. Not only is it Wrong to set objectives mid year (haha. Rules for living much??), I also have too many knitting plans for the Autumn term.

Stashdown #7: July 2015

My yarn stash continued to reduce in July, and I'm now back in negative numbers again. Although to be honest, it's not as good as I hoped. I had planned to finish another pair of socks, but I haven't finished the first sock yet:

Well, I didn't buy any yarn. I finished 3 projects during July.

492 yards on a colourwork bag
60 yards on two blanket squares
20 yards on a crochet goldfish

Year to date:
CF from last month +147
 +0 in
- 572 out
YTD -425.

Friday, 31 July 2015


I've recently been developing my embellishing skills, by completing some knitted projects that incorporated finishing steps of embroidery.

These mittens included little embroidered flowers. They were very hard to get right, or at least, to get them to look the same on both mittens:

Here they are complete. The little flowers really add to the mittens, I think.

This knitted bag required over 200 French knots, over 100 cross stitches and some duplicate stitches too.

Here's the finished bag:

I really like it! I want to make another, only in green this time.

Do you like to tackle projects that help you learn new skills? Feel free to share in the comments box.

Tuesday, 21 July 2015


I recently acquired this lovely cantilever sewing box.

When I opened it, it was full of sewing supplies. My grandma used to work in textiles, and when I was a little girl, she used to make some of my clothes. 

There were a lot of cotton reels. I shan't have to buy any black, grey or navy thread for a while.

The tobacco tins were probably empties belonging to my grandad. He died nearly thirteen years ago. Now they are full of buttons. My grandma never throws a spare button away! 

I also brought home a lovely picture of my grandad in his workplace to cherish. 

In the sewing box, I also found the old-fashioned steel hooks for crochet pictured above. I must search the internet, as I'm pretty sure the sizes are not given in mm.

I have these because my grandma's house has to be emptied. She is moving into residential care. At 95, she's not done too badly. I am holding on to the memories I have of crafting with her as a little girl. They were such happy days! 

Friday, 10 July 2015

Knitting in the Summer

Trying to knit on my socks...

But, having limited time to knit owing to workload and family commitments. Hmmm.

At least I got a cup of tea!

Friday, 3 July 2015


I had fun with my innocent minihats last month. I already posted about the ice-cream themed ones, but as well as those, I made another which was an experiment: I miniaturised a colourwork hat I made previously.

Here's the original hat (photo was taken on my phone):

The hat was a pattern from the Lucinda Guy book Northern Knits. I am very fond of her patterns, and it's where the Marta bag that is currently on my needles comes from. If I was making that hat again though, I'd go up a needle size. It is a little snug, so I'm planning to offer it to my niece, but I digress...

Here's the mini version as an innocent minihat, just for fun.

I used the same yarn. The full size hat is in the pic for scale.

If you're a new reader and you don't know about the minihats, there is information here.